Because not knowing
can be polarizing . . .
here are some answers
to the most common questions.
Who can volunteer for Community VBS (CVBS)?
Any rising 6th grader or older who has been attending a partner church for six months.
I’m a first-time volunteer. What do I have to do?
- Complete your church’s volunteer application and provide three references. Please let your references know they will be contacted to answer a few questions.
- Attend one Protecting God’s Children Training Class
- Attend one CVBS Mission Training Session to learn about the theme and job specific tasks
What is the location for all CVBS Trainings and Host Home Information Nights?
All CVBS Trainings occur at: All Saints’ Church, 14851 Gideon Dr., Woodbridge, VA 22192.
All Saints’ Church is on the same street as Hylton Memorial Chapel. Click here for directions. Please enter the administrative door located to the far right of the main doors with the CVBS sign on it.
Will childcare be provided for all training sessions?
Yes, childcare will be provided.
Who has to attend a Protecting God’s Children (PGC) Training Class?
- All new volunteers who are 14 years old or older
- All returning volunteers, who did not complete the course in the previous year. If you completed the class in 2017, then you will need a refresher PGC Training Class in 2019.
If my church provides another child protection course, do I still need to take PGC Training Course?
Yes, PGC Training Class is an in-depth training course beyond standard child protection courses. Since the mission is done in homes and parks, there needs to be additional training to keep children safe. Many of our partner churches will accept PGC Training Class as an acceptable replacement for their child protection course.
Do I need to bring anything to CVBS Training?
Yes, for the CVBS Mission Training please bring $10 for CVBS Volunteer t-shirts, a suitcase (Host Homes only), and $5 for Worship CDs. The CVBS volunteer t-shirt donation supports the free gift of a t-shirt per child on the mission field. If the donation is a hardship, please talk to Mrs. Lindsey Feldman. Host Homes will need to bring a suitcase for mission crafts. The suitcase will be returned at Host Home Pick-up Day. All Host Homes and Worship Team Members are expected to purchase a Worship CD; however, which is typically $5.
*Volunteers do not need to bring anything to PGC Training Class.
At a CVBS site, what volunteer positions are stationary? What volunteer positions travel?
- Stationary volunteer positions: Host Home, Host Home Assistant, and Bible Study Leader
- Traveling volunteer positions: Worship, Games, and Crafts Teams (at least 2 people per team)
What times can I volunteer?
There are morning, afternoon, and evening shifts available. You choose your time.
I’m on a traveling team. How many sites will I travel to?
Three sites relatively close together in two hours.
I’m a first-time Host Home. What will I need to provide for the mission?
- A space in your yard
- A CD player
- A water hose
- A canopy
**If you do not have a CD player, water hose, or a canopy; one can be borrowed for the mission. All snacks, t-shirts, and supplies are provided on Host Home Pick-up Day, the Saturday before the mission.
What happens if it rains?
We pray for months that it will not rain during the week of our local mission. If it does rain, the Lord will bless garages or basements the same. It is the prayerful decision of the Host Home on whether to hold CVBS that day and if so, the location on their property.
I’m out of town on the main mission week, can I still help?
Yes, you can help on Mondays at All Saints’ Church with mission preparations (painting, cutting, laminating) beginning the first full week of March. You can pray for the mission, please click here for the prayer calendar, coming May 1st. You can participate in the Snack or Craft Pack Days for the mission. Click here to see the scheduled dates. Also, there are missions going on all summer. Prayerfully consider going out in mission to a Homeless Shelter, Assisted Living Facility or a National or International Mission.
Can I serve more than once?
Yes, you may volunteer for multiple shifts during mission week. You may also participate during other mission weeks as well (Homeless Shelters, Assisted Living Facility, etc.)
I have more questions, who do I contact?
- Bible Study – Kristi Ellison – email@example.com
- Crafts – Cathy Riddle – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Host Homes & Host Home Assistants – Chris May – email@example.com
- Recreation – Janice Chipman – JLChipman@aol.com
- Registration – Sharon McKannon – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Worship – Taylor Hopkins – email@example.com
- CVBS Director – Lindsey Feldman – LindseyFeldman1980@gmail.com